Year 5 2019 / 20
Welcome to the brand new Year 5 page! Year 5 is an exciting year for the children as they enter Upper Key Stage 2 and get used to their position as role models for the rest of the school.
In Year 5, the children will have all sorts of amazing learning opportunities through a creative and engaging curriculum. The children will start the year learning about the Tudors including Henry VIII and his many wives, paying close attention to Anne Boleyn in their topic ‘Off with her head’.
This year, after the autumn half-term holiday, we will be moving into our rehearsals for our Christmas production of Mary Poppins; Year 6 will take the lead in the performance working alongside Year 5. Both year groups are going to go ‘Time Travelling with Poppins’ and will look at the life before WW1 (the original film is set in 1910), the suffragette movement (Mrs Banks was a suffragette), the depression as it continued into 1935 (when the newest film is set), the swinging 60s (when the first film was filmed and released), and into modern day Britain (when the Mary Poppins Returns was filmed). Not only will the children be able to explore the changes in Britain from the start of the 20th Century to now, they will be able to hone and master their dramatic and musical skills as they take the stage to perform Mary Poppins Junior!
After Christmas, when the nights are at their darkest we will all become Stargazers and will be thinking about what it out there, beyond the sky. The children will follow this by moving to ancient Egypt in their ‘Pharaohs’ topic.
Following this, the children will be thinking scientifically and becoming “Bug Creators” after Easter. To round the year off we will be paying special attention to forces through the medium of theme parks in the topic ‘Scream Machine’ which is sure to be exciting for everybody involved!
In Year 5, the children have a variety of opportunities to display their creativity, leadership skills and extra curricular activities:
- Leadership skills are enhanced with the opportunity to be a Sports Leader.
- Dramatic muscles can be flexed in the Year 5/6 Christmas production.
- Musically the children get many opportunities to learn with Mr. Whawell, as well as extra curricular opportunities.
- Mentorship is another area in which Y5 excel as they become reading buddies for their little friends in Year 1.
- Sporting prowess is celebrated in Year 5 as the children get the chance to attend the Tuesday night football club, Netball, running and have many opportunities to represent the school.
- Sport is also a big part of the curriculum in Year 5 where the children benefit from the expertise of Tom from DF coaching, in addition to Mr. Johnson’s regular P.E lessons. The children also benefit from regular yoga sessions on a Monday morning, starting the week off in a calm and relaxing manner.
- A host of other opportunities are available to the children in their Friday afternoon enrichment sessions.
Please feel free to browse the rest of this page to see video updates in the news section, what we have coming up in the events section, information about homework and a gallery of the children taken professionally when they were in Year 2!
Year 5 News
The children were given homework to research and present about a Tudor personality, these 3 girls wrote fantastic poems for you to enjoy: