Here at Hutton Rudby Primary School, it is our intent that all our children are exposed to a rich and varied music curriculum. It is our aim that children develop awareness, enjoyment and appreciation of music in all its forms as well as provoking a level of curiosity. We intend to:
• Provide music experiences which will enable the development of creativity and imagination
• Enrich the children’s knowledge and understanding of music; creating opportunities for exploring a diverse range of mediums, including song and instrumental.
• Form secure links between music and other curricular areas, such as dance and drama.
• Enable access to a variety of music-based enrichment activities both curricular and extra-curricular.
We believe through providing and enabling the above, our children develop the musical knowledge and understanding to become creative and well-rounded individuals.
Our ambitious curriculum also involves the learning of a musical instrument throughout the whole of Key Stage 2 (the ocarina) which provides an excellent foundation for pupils’ secondary music education.
The aims of our music curriculum marry that of the Department for Education’s Model Music Curriculum (March 2021).
- In all year groups, children are taught units of work taken from the Charanga scheme of work which develop pupils’ understanding of the 7 elements of music (rhythm, melody, harmony, timbre, dynamics, texture and form) and their ability to listen, appraise, perform and compose.
- All year groups are provided an additional opportunity to perform on stage throughout the academic year. We give the children the opportunity to showcase their skills in our productions, helping them gain confidence performing in front of an audience.
North Yorkshire County music service provide offer a range of services to our school. Children have access to individual guitar lessons are offered to the children as well as small group woodwind and brass lessons.
On top of the above, Musicworks offer keyboard and drumming lessons to our children on a weekly basis. This cumulates in a Musicworks assembly at the end of each term where the children can showcase their talents!