Regular attendance at school promotes pupils’ wellbeing and gives them the best chance of learning and reaching their potential.
Pupils should attend school every day that it is open, unless the reason for the absence is unaviodable.
Good attendance is important because pupils:
- make more progress academically and socially;
- are proven to have higher levels of attainment;
- cope better with school routines, work and friendships;
- find learning easier because they do not miss out;
- feel more confident;
- are more successful at making the transition between primary and secondary school as well as higher education and employment / training;
- are known to be safe and well by us.
Research shows a direct link between high attendance and educational outcomes.
- Pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 in 2019 had an overall attendance of 95.3% over the key stage. This is compared to 96.5% among pupils who achieved the expected standard and 97.3% among those who achieved the higher standard.
- 72% of children with attendance between 95% and 100% achieve the expected standard for their age in reading, writing and maths nationally, whilst 13% achieve a higher standard.
- This is compared to just 44% of children with attendance between 85% and 90% go on to achieve the expected standard for their age in reading, writing and maths, whilst only 3% with this attendance reach a higher standard than is expected for their age.
These trends are similar to those seen in previous years. We encourage 100% attendance and punctuality for all pupils and have a minimum expectation of 97%.
Absence & Illness
If your child is ill, please give them time off to regain full health. Our admin team can help you with guidance on when your child should return to school.
If your child is ill during school time we will endeavour to contact a parent / carer so that the child can be taken home as school is not the best place for a child who is unwell.
Our School Day
The school gates open at 8:30am with each class’ register opening at 8:40am. Please ensure that the children are in their classroom by 8:40am for the register. The school gates close at 8:50am.
School finishes at 3:15pm for all classes.
If you have concerns regarding attendance, we are happy to help. Please talk to the office staff, Mr Johnson or your child’s teacher